Job Summary: Under the direction of a Registered Nurse, works with all populations and provides assistance to the Operating Room staff by scrubbing for surgical procedures in accordance with the established policies and procedures of the Operating Room. Responsible for contributing information to the plan of care for a broad spectrum of patients as it relates to their age (developmental) and service needs. Adheres to the Standards of Nursing Practice of the Patient Care Division and AORN Standards. May be expected to work weekends, any shift, holidays, etc. as the demands of the job and department require.
- Identifies the needs of each patient.
- Collaborates with surgical team to identify individualized needs of the surgical patient.
- Accurately identifies instruments, equipment, suture and supplies necessary in preparation for the individualized surgical procedures.
- Contributes to the plan of patient care.
- Prioritizes assignments to meet the daily demands of the surgical schedule.
- Organizes activities to meet daily demands of the surgical schedule.
- Participates with surgical team in the individualized patient care plan based on assessed needs, standards of care, and physicians’ preference cards.
- Assists in the performance of intra-operative patient care actions under the direction of a Registered Nurse.
- Provides the Registered Nurse and other disciplines with appropriate input to adjust the plan of care to meet the changing needs of the patient.
- Promptly reports significant changes or abnormal findings to the Registered Nurse.
- Performs appropriate patient care interventions as assigned by the Registered Nurse.
- Sets up instruments, supplies and equipment according to identified care plan, policies and procedures, and AORN standards..
- Demonstrates knowledge of surgical equipment
- Participates in “time out” prior to incision to identify patient and surgical procedure
- Uses supplies judiciously
- Functions effectively in the scrub role during the intra-operative phase.
- Anticipates the needs of the surgeon.
- Identifies surgical specimens and gives them to the Circulating Nurse.
- Observes operative area and is ready to act in an emergency or unplanned change in the surgical patient.
- Initiates and participates in cardio-pulmonary resuscitation with the exception of administering drugs.
- Demonstrates awareness of the individual rights of the patients.
- Correctly identifies medications presented by the Circulating Nurses to the sterile field to be administered by the RN or surgeon.
- Provides assistance to the RN Circulator as directed.
- Organizes tasks to facilitate surgical efficiency.
- Prioritizes assigned tasks to maximize surgeon efficiency and minimize anesthesia exposure.
- Assists in communicating the care of patients with other divisions.
- Recognizes and secures guidance from appropriate sources regarding problems related to the unit.
- Utilizes time and equipment efficiently and effectively.
- Demonstrates awareness of cost containment efforts by conservation of supplies.
- Performs as a contributing member of the surgical team.
- Supports the philosophy, policies and practices of the institution.
- Participates in staff and patient care conferences.
- Participates in the orientation and teaching of newly employed ORTs, seeking guidance as necessary.
- Contributes to the weekly evaluations with the assistance of the Peri-operative Preceptor and Registered Nurses on newly employed personnel who are in an orientation program.
- Shares information actively with others.
- Makes timely appropriate decisions and acts through empowerment to handle situations to resolution and/or refer to appropriate person(s) when necessary.
- Demonstrates responsibility and accountability for own professional practice. Knows and adheres to policies and procedures, performing in a professional and ethical manner at all times.
- Works with team members to accomplish assigned tasks, seeking assistance to provide optimal care.
- Willingly accepts assignments, working cooperatively with professional staff.
- Demonstrates competency in Fire/Disaster Training, Biohazard/OSHA Training, and additional required learning training throughout the year.
- Performs appropriate patient care intervention as assigned by the Registered Nurse.
- Implements the principles of aseptic and sterile technique according to AORN Standards. Immediately reports and corrects any break in technique.
- Uses safe methods in the handling and care of equipment.
- Properly handles sharps, contaminated instruments and supplies.
- Performs sponge, sharps and instrument counts according to established policies and procedures.
- Provides a safe patient environment.
- Supports the surgeon by providing aid, adequate surgical site exposure, and technical functions.
- Adheres to all hospital policies and procedures relating to a safe environment.
- Identifies potential risks, which impact on patient safety and takes appropriate action.
- Uses equipment and supplies according to manufacturer’s guidelines.
- Reports to appropriate person(s) any significant occurrences that may impact patient safety.
- Consistently follows infection control and OSHA requirements.
- Interacts with patients and others in a courteous and respectful manner, inspiring confidence by performing and communicating in a professional and ethical manner.
- Communicates relevant information to patients, patients’ families, physicians and health care team members to achieve desired outcomes both in person and via written/telephone communications, while maintaining confidentiality.
- Successfully communicates with director and other leaders regarding identified trends, problems, and opportunities for more effective and efficient care. Follows up on problems until resolution is reached or problem is referred.
- Corporate Compliance: The employee has met the standards outlined in the Code of Ethics and Business Conduct Handbook. Maintains an ongoing awareness of the right to privacy and confidentiality.
- Accepts responsibility for fulfilling conditions of employment; mandatory in-service education, competency testing, etc.
- Actively participates in JCAHO preparation and maintenance of standards and other regulatory requirements.
- Seeks opportunity for professional growth, such as, workshops, seminars, certification, etc., both internal and external to the organization.
- Collects, aggregates and analyzes performance improvement data and/or acts on opportunities for promotion of excellence in practice.
- Demonstrates commitment to the NHS organization and mission through active participation in specific projects, process groups, committees, and staff meetings.
- Has established a pattern of attendance that is in compliance with the Nanticoke Health Services attendance policy.
- Projects appropriate image by adhering to the dress code as per policy.
- Demonstrates understanding and application of NMH values – caring, excellence, leadership, pride, teamwork, integrity and standards for customer service.
- Demonstrates the ability to formulate and maintain positive working relationships with peers, managers, and other members of the health care team.
- Keeps up to date on organizational changes as evidenced by attending staff and other essential meetings and seeking clarification as appropriate.
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Positive attitude, desire to efficiently support the care of patients, work in a team environment with other health care workers and physicians.
- CPR required.
- Graduate of a certified surgical tech program conducted by a community college, vocation school, or hospital school, or relevant hospital-based training. Other experience and education may be considered
801 Middleford Rd,Seaford, DE