TidalHealth Peninsula Regional
We offer observation and shadowing experiences to anyone 18 years of age and older. Those under the age of 18 must meet a minimum requirement of being a senior in highschool and get a parent or guardian’s signature on the Observation Only Agreement.
Step 1: Find a Provider
Our organization does not match students requesting an observation with one of our providers. Please visit our Find A Doctor page search physicians and advanced practice providers by specialty. You will need to make contact with our providers to arrange for a potential observation/shadowing experience.
Step 2: Submit Observation Agreement and Documentation
Once you have established a provider, please print and complete the Observation Only Agreement and submit along with the required ID to Jill North, Medical Education Coordinator at [email protected]. Please note that you must obtain the provider signature prior to submission. If the provider you will be observing is an Advanced Practice Provider, i.e. Physician Assistant, Nurse Practitioner, Certified Nurse Anesthetist or Certified Nurse-Midwife, you must obtain their signature along with their Supervising Physician’s signature. Once all paperwork is received and approved, the Medical Education Coordinator will contact you and issue clearance to begin your observation/shadowing experience. An ID Badge will be issued and required to be worn during your observation.
Step 3: Surgical Orientation (if applicable)
Observation/Shadowing experiences with a surgeon requires the completion of an Operating Room (OR) Orientation. Please contact Susan Lynch at [email protected] to schedule. Following successful completion of the OR Orientation, Susan will sign the designated area on the Observation Only Agreement.
- Driver’s License
- School ID (if applicable)
- If under the age of 18, proof of senior in highschool and obtain signature of parent or guardian.
TidalHealth Nanticoke offers shadow experiences to individuals 16 years old and older who have an interest in the healthcare field. These experiences are time limited lasting no longer than two (2) weeks. The intent of the experience is to give the shadow individual an opportunity to observe how care is delivered in their area of interest. THERE IS NO PATIENT CONTACT DURING A SHADOW EXPERIENCE.
Step 1: Request for Shadowing a Healthcare Provider TidalHealth Nanticoke
- *If a Preceptor has agreed to allow you to shadow, please have them complete the Preceptor Agreement for Shadowing Individual along with the above shadowing request form and email BOTH forms to [email protected]
Requests will be forwarded to the Unit Director for approval
- THE STUDENT IS NOT PERMITTED TO BEGIN A SHADOWING EXPERIENCE UNTIL THEY HAVE RECEIVED WRITTEN APPROVAL FROM THE UNIT DIRECTOR.
Step 2: Requirements AFTER Approval
Students must complete and bring the following forms to their shadow experience:
- Confidentiality of Information Statement
- Shadowing Orientation
- Observation in the Operating Room Consent (if applicable)
- Shadowing Log (if shadowing for more than one day)
- Students must wear appropriate attire of either:
- Business casual clothing with closed toe shoes
- Scrubs with sneakers
Step 3: Meet the Unit Director/Preceptor
Meet the Unit Director/Preceptor at TidalHealth Nanticoke in the main lobby on the approved day and time with the necessary paperwork.