Posted In Health News & Studies on April 20, 2012
- Swaddle - this technique is routinely taught to new parents at Peninsula Regional's Mother-Baby unit, but if you need a good refresher, here's a step-by-step guide.
- Cradle the infant in your arms on their left side or stomach (but remember, never place a baby on his or her stomach to sleep, or leave them alone while they're their stomach! Only place an infant on its back to sleep.)
- Shush the baby - not too quietly, since you'll need to be heard over the crying. This imitates soothing womb sounds.
- Swing the infant side-to-side in a rocking motion.
- Let the baby suck on a pacifier or bottle, or take a couple of minutes to nurse the child.