Posted In Peninsula Regional News on May 01, 2014
- F — Face: Ask the person to smile. Does one side of the face droop?
- A — Arms: Ask the person to raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward?
- S — Speech: Ask the person to repeat a simple phrase. Does the speech sound slurred or strange?
- T — Time: If you observe any of these signs, then it’s time to call 9-1-1.
- Stroke is the fourth leading cause of death in the U.S.
- Stroke is a leading cause of adult long-term disability.
- By 2030, it is estimated that 4 million people will have had a stroke. This is nearly 25 percent higher than 2010 estimates.
- Stroke is an emergency! It’s important to learn stroke warning signs and how to respond to them. If given within three hours of the first symptom, there is an FDA-approved clot-buster medication that may reduce long-term disability for the most common type of stroke.